0800 2425520
CALL US NOW 0800 2425520 / 01536 410470

Housing and Planning Act 2016

How will these changes affect you as a Landlord?


As private rentals become the “norm” it’s very important to ensure that all Landlords (including accidental landlords!) are up to date with their responsibilities to their tenants.

This year sees the introduction of the Housing and Planning Act 2016. Although the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 has always required “landlords to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity”, this new act has made it a legal requirement for Landlords to ensure electrical safety standards are met during each tenancy.

As a Landlord you will need to instruct a qualified person to carry out an Electrical Condition Report on the property (commonly known as an EICR or Fixed Wire Testing) and obtain a certificate confirming that electrical safety standards are met. A copy of this certificate should then be provided to “the tenant or prospective tenant, or any other person specified in the regulations”. As a guide a landlord should initially have a full electrical installation condition report carried out on the property, subsequently when the property is re tenanted a visual condition report should then be carried out to ascertain if any damage or alteration has occurred.

Guidelines given by NICIEC state that landlords should have an “Electrical Installation condition Report” carried out every 5 years & then “Visual condition reports” carried out on an annual basis or change of tenancy, with further Electrical installation condition reports carried out at 5 yearly intervals.

As the age and condition of electrical installations are varied the above is a guide only.

It’s also worth noting that the new regulations imposed state that It is “imposing duties on a private landlord of residential premises in England for the purposes of ensuring that electrical safety standards are met during any period when the premises are occupied under a tenancy” and includes not only the fixtures and fittings in a premises but also any appliances a landlord may provide to the tenants. Stand alone appliances such as fridges, freezers and washing machines would not be covered under an EICR and would require PAT testing at the same time as the EICR

For further information about EICR’s for landlords please feel free to contact us at Elec Cert Limited.

Direct Quote

Elect Cert Ltd are committed to protecting your privacy and shall only use the information you provide on this page to respond to your enquiry.
Unit 6
Oakley Hay Lodge
NN18 9AS
Tel: 0800 2425520 /
01536 410470
[email protected]
Trust Mark constructionline Chas NIC EIC - Domestic Installer NIC EIC - Approved Contractor SMAS ECA
Web design Northampton by 1PCS© Copyright - Elec Cert 2020 Privacy Policy